Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Stiff-Legged Deadlift And Why It is Important!

The stiff-legged deadlift is probably a more common under utilized exercise for the main reason of people not training legs in the first place. If you do manage to train legs, chances are, you put more effort into your quads then you do your hamstrings. What gives? Hamstrings are part of your leg? It could be the fact that most people do not see the muscle or have no clue on why it is important to train it. So let me get straight to it! It is important because it is such a vulnerable muscle, it is used constantly, and injuring it just plain sucks!

Do not neglect this muscle! It does so much work and stabilizes your posterior chain is makes it that much more important. As I mentioned before, having dominant quads puts more stress on the hamstrings as they have to work double time to keep it balanced. Same goes throughout the body. hamstrings!
Stiff-Legged Deadlift In Action Performed By Jaime Eason
Both rear and front muscles must be trained equally and build up strong to avoid discrepancies. It allows both muscle groups to keep the body balanced. So next time on leg day, focus on hamstrings first, then hit squats or you have a separate day for

Hamstrings is a muscle group that is used throughout the day. Remember, they are used to keep your whole posterior chain balanced and keep the body upright. Have lower back problems? This could be an issue. Using stiff-legged deadlifts can remedy that. Unlike your normal deadlift, the stiff-legged deadlift is exactly performed as it is titled. Rather then keeping a bend in regular deadlifts when beginning the movement or the lowering portion of the movement. The legs remain rigid and stiff when lowering the weight. This puts tremendous focus on the hamstrings allowing for greater stimulation. Unlike deadlifts, this is not an exercise you should go heavy on. Keep it light until your hamstrings are built enough to handle it.

You do not want to injure the hamstring because it hurts and it is a pain to walk! It just simply sucks! I had an injury in my hamstring when I first started deadlifting. The stupid part was that my hamstrings was weak as hell. I was your typical upper body guy until I pulled my hamstring and couldn't walk for a week! So that is when I realized how important training the hamstrings really was. This is when I started to incorporate the stiff-legged deadlift which over time, I notice a huge improvement in my posture and amount of weight I can handle on deadlifts.

All I am saying is, the stiff-legged deadlift is the perfect exercise to help improve hamstring strength and maintain good posture. If you want to know how to effectively use it, check these workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment